Club Racing 2017


Racing at SISC



Winter Craze

Saturday-Sunday, 25-26 March 2017

The Club’s Boys Cruise to Port Browning and back through Navy Channel

10:00  Skippers’ Meeting

10:30  Start of Race 1

Bas Cobanli Memorial

Sunday, 9 April 2017

10:00  Skippers’ Meeting

10:30  Start

Course: To be determined at Skippers’ Meeting

Spring Regatta

Saturday-Sunday, 15-16 April 2017

10:00  Skippers’ Meeting

10:30  Start of Race 1

Course: To be determined at Skippers’ Meeting



Series A

Hot Rum Race  1 Jan
Ben Mohr Rock A 15 Jan
Ground Hog A  29 Jan
Channel Islands A 19 Feb
Walker Rock A 26 Feb
Round Prevost A 12 Mar
Bas Cobanli A 9 Apr
Spring Regatta A 15-16 Apr

Series B

Opening Day Sail Past Race 30 Apr
Moresby-Portland B  14 May
Round Saltspring B  19-21 May
Wednesday Night Jun I B*  7 Jun
McMillan Trophy B 11 Jun
Wednesday Night Jun II B* 14 Jun
Wednesday Night Jun III B*  21 Jun
Captain Passage B 25 Jun
Wednesday Night Jun IV B* 28 Jun
Wednesday Night Jul I B* 5 Jul
Wednesday Night Jul II B* 12 Jul
Wednesday Night Jul III B* 19 Jul
Jack and Jill 23 Jul
Wednesday Night Jul IV B* 26 Jul

*The Wednesday Night Races will be combined for each of June, July, and August, to become one result for each month.

Series C

Wednesday Night Aug I C* 2 Aug
Wednesday Night Aug II C* 9 Aug
Wednesday Night Aug III C* 16 Aug
Wednesday Night Aug IV C* 23 Aug
Montague Harbour C  27 Aug
Wednesday Night Aug V C* 30 Aug
Jack Langdon C  10 Sep
Night Race C 23 Sep
Round Pender Day 1 C  7 Oct
Round Pender Day 2 C 8 Oct
Long Harbour C 22 Oct




Go to top of page


Hot Rum Race

1 January  2017

New Years Day dawned magnificently at our house though the heavily matted texture of the water down below and the swaying of the trees around the house bespoke of winds on the high side of the forecasts I had relied on. When I arrived at the club at 9:15, finding our new Staff Captain Mike Dawson had fully prepared for the luncheon already, with no further help needed from our race group, I set about preparing Velica and making note of who was also preparing for the race.

Announced by clanging halyards and tortured windexes, a stiff north wind howled through the marina, visibly heeling boats in their slips. One by one, an intrepid group of sailors gathered to prepare for riding this near gale in the harbour. Martin and Greg were readying the Kay D and Sprite, but thought better of venturing out in the end. That sent Greg onto Wildfire and Tony Meek onto Electra, and Martin electing to nurse his head cold from shore. These were cues the skipper of Velica would have been wise to attend to— this was not a day to single-hand!

After a brief skipper’s meeting with a lively debate about the course, I tried to strike a balance between caution and adventure with a final decision. The course was northward through the start line, windward to the “Breeze” tug off goat Island, returning to the start line taking the club end mark to port, and then heading out of the harbour on a fast broad reach, out to Welbury Spar. Take the spar to port, the fleet was then to return home, keeping only Second Sister to Starboard as required in the standing sailing instructions, before close-reaching to the finish.

Returning to Velica, alone, I quickly realized that it would be impossible to get her safely off the dock single-handed without risk of damage to her or her leeward neighbour. Just releasing the bowline sent her bow halfway across the slip toward my neighbour in a matter of two seconds. Taking safety to heart over derring-do, I tied Velica back up and headed out to the breakwater to watch the start with Martin.

We had a great vantage point for the initial phases of the race, as well as the finish. I was treated to a running commentary by Martin, critiquing sternly but fairly the tactics and boat-handling of the hard-pressed and hard-heeling boats before us. It was NOT a pretty start. Only Oasis was even on the line within five seconds of the start time, and no one managed to take the strongly favoured position at the offshore pin end of the line. Nonetheless, collisions and other serious calamities were avoided, and all were eventually away.

The boats who favoured port tack and a higher line to the first mark were well rewarded. Electra quickly established a solid position here, but was harried by Richard Clarke’s Ricochet. Alas, the latter, being late to the start and not attending the skippers meeting, guessed that the second mark was a gate through the start line, rather than the prescribed port rounding of the inside end. Therefore, she failed to sail the true course and were eliminated from the results.

Once round this first mark, Martin captured a stunning shot of the reaching parade of boats out of the harbour:

We see Electra leading, with Ricochet, Radiant Heat, Oasis, Wildfire and Warbird, like pearls on a string.

Rapidly the charging boats disappeared from view, and Martin took his leave to warm up. About 40 minutes later, I spied the boats re-entering the harbour, and jogged back to the breakwater to watch the finish and do the boats the courtesy of taking their times at the line. Electra still led from Ricochet, and cleverly kept a higher line to avoid any hitch tacks to make the finish. This was easier said than done because the overpowering 30 knot gusts rolling down on the fleet were causing chunks of leeway in their tracks, quite visible from the shore. The biggest victim of this was Radiant Heat, who was forced to tack up right in front of the breakwater, just giving away the seconds that Wildfire would need to overtake her for second place on corrected time.

Myself, and others down to check their own mooring lines, scurried around the docks helping to catch the intrepid returning boats wanting to crash their way into their own slips, driven by the unrelenting wind.

The race was followed by a splendid and well-attended New Year’s luncheon, complete with the key ingredient of hot rum-spiked cider. Mike Dawson’s big crew of generous and skilled volunteers put on a wonderful feast, complete with white table linens and dazzling holiday centrepieces.

After the fulsome munching, I had the pleasure of presenting prize bottles of rum to the podium finishers: Radiant Heat in 3rd, Wildfire in 2nd, and a triumphant Electra in 1st place.

Boat Skipper PHRF-BC NFS As Sailed Finish Time Corrected Place
ELECTRA Roger Kibble 141 21 162 11:28:25 00:55:41 1
WILDFIRE Gyle Keating 148 18 166 11:32:41 00:59:24 2
RADIANT HEAT Tony Brogan 136 18 154 11:32:07 00:59:54 3
WARBIRD Douglas Woolcock 141 18 159 11:32:45 01:00:04 4
OASIS Bob Jones 102 18 120 11:30:30 01:01:27 5


Go to top of page


Ben Mohr Rock Race

22 January  2017

Well, the first “serious” race of 2017 is finally in the books, and it was quite something— a steady cold (3-5ºC) rain for much of the race, extremely variable wind (less than 1 kt up to 25 kts), a protest, another rule infraction, a legitimate (and properly exonerated) use of engine to avoid a close encounter of the ferry kind, and more. Whew!

It has taken Philippe and I most of the last 24 hours to sort it all out!

The day began grey and not particularly inviting. When I reached the club, the harbour was (again) glassy, and the flags were limp. I encountered Martin on the walkway, and he asked, “is this the forecast?!” I cheerfully replied, “well, no, there is forecast to be a pulse of wind right after our start time that is supposed to last for just an hour or so, but could hit 20 knots.” Further discussion of the forecast with Tony Brogan and others on the dock included this hope, as well as a drop to less wind later, and a backing of the wind from SE to E to N.

As it turned out, all this and more happened. The race (again) began in just a breath of mostly E wind, making a starboard approach to the line almost impossible. The reaching angle lured a few boats to try to get spinnakers up, but the forecast pulse of SE wind was ready to pounce, before we were half way out of the harbour. I looked back to see colourful spinnakers wrapped around masts at odd angles. Shortly thereafter, as Velica approached a leading position in the fleet, Greg Slakov called over to me from Sprite, “good day to not have a spinnaker!” That was mostly true on the outward leg, but not so much on the homeward leg.

The constant wind shifts and pressure changes resulted in many lead changes— by my eye at least five of the nine entrants spent time at the pointy end. Radiant Heat and Velica changed places at least a half dozen times.

The crux of the race was a prolonged lull which happened right near Scott Point, on the Welbury side. Tiny fits of shifty wind combined with current vortices to turn steerage into an elusive exercise. Multiple fruitless tacks were taken, Velica did an involuntary 360, and had to fend off from drifting helplessly into the beam of Radiant Heat. Electra and Kaitoa retired (towing the engine-less Electra back), Imp thought about it, and just then a newly resurgent north-ish light breeze pulled the stubbornest among the fleet slowly past Scott Point and across the mouth of Long Harbour, into Trincomali with a direct close reach to the Ben Mohr mark.

The return journey was less fraught with extremes, but still quite tricky, especially the last mile to the finish in the harbour. The initial broad reach gave boats with spinnakers or expansive foresails a big advantage, and Radiant Heat took over the lead, with Kay D, Sprite and Imp within stone’s throws of each other and of Velica and Radiant Heat. In fact, on the 4.5 knot beam reach across Welbury Bay to Second Sister, the five boats looked like a tiny navy flotilla, in stable close formation.

In the harbour, we had at least three or four wind swings of 90º to 180º, and private favoured lanes of breeze on both sides of the harbour at one time or another. The best to navigate this maze was Imp, who came from nearly retiring on the outbound leg to line honours in the end. Kay D finished shortly after, followed closely by Velica and Radiant Heat.

Congrats go to Kay D, whose savvy skipper got almost all of the shifts right and very few wrong, resulting in a dominant win on corrected time.

Great “props” go to Wildfire and especially Skeena Cloud on this day for sticking with it to finish within the extended time limit of 17:00.

As I described to Pete McGovern today, it was an intellectually fascinating and a physically miserable race!

Boat Skipper PHRF-BC NFS As Sailed Finish Time Corrected Place Points
KAY D Martin Herbert 202 21 202 14:27:20 03:33:40 1 100
IMP Craig Leitch 167 21 167 14:25:20 03:42:40 2 89
VELICA Vincent Argiro 138 nfs permnt 138 14:28:00 03:55:06 3 78
RADIANT HEAT Tony Brogan 136 18 136 14:29:00 03:56:49 4 67
WILDFIRE Gyle Keating 148 18 148 15:00:10 04:22:53 5 56
SKEENA CLOUD    CC Greg Taylor 195 18 195 15:43:00 04:44:33 6 44
ELECTRA Roger Kibble 141 21 141 DNF DNF 9 33
KAITOA Philippe Erdmer 105 21 105 DSQ DSQ 9 0
SPRITE Greg Slakov 202 21 202 DSQ DSQ 9 0

Philippe’s Notes:

KAITOA and SPRITE were disqualified for infringing rules about penalty turns after fouling a competitor.

ELECTRA was towed to the start, made it to Captain Passage and was towed home from there by KAITOA. Visiting crew on KAITOA got cold and wet as they lacked sufficient foulie gear, which made the decision to withdraw a necessity; all this is mooted by KAITOA’s disqualification in not completing the required penalty after fouling WILDFIRE at the start.


Go to top of page


Ground Hog Day Race

29 January  2017

While we still do not know what the Ground Hog is actually going to tell us about this winter, we do know that the race we held in its honour had two big surprises. Firstly, only half as many of you came out this year as for last year’s event. Secondly, we were blessed with about twice as much wind as forecast, making for a thrilling, if winnowing, contest.

My wife Maggie once again put on a great feast, cooking oceans of golden delicious pancakes in our own kitchen at daybreak. Meanwhile, Jim Raddysh and Shelley Lipke contributed a cornucopia of fresh fruit salad, and Martin Herbert and Rosemary Harbrecht fried up a boatload of bacon. Alas, despite there being a decent turnout of eight boats for the race, five of the eight were single-handed, and the remaining three were double-handed, meaning that there was a distinct shortage of mouths to feed with all this scrumptious food we collectively prepared. All did their best to take seconds and maybe a couple thirds, but in the end there were a lot of leftovers. I offer my apologies to all the cooks for my excessive optimism on the numbers.

Thanks to everyone for pitching in with the setup, cooking and cleanup, allowing us to start the reverse-handicap sequence of the race at 11:30.

Just as we finished in the clubhouse and headed for the boats, it began to rain, bringing memories of last week’s drenching. The southerly wind, however, was beginning fly the damp flags on the yardarms, and the harbour took a distinctly ruffled appearance. By the time the two Flying Fifteens were jockeying at the line for the first start, the gusts were above 18 knots on Velica’s masthead.

Sprite got the jump on Kay D at the start, but the two boats stayed closely matched on the first couple tacks out into the harbour. Battle Axe and Skeena Cloud were next to go, and immediately showed signs of straining to stay reasonably vertical. Imp took off next, in fine form, handling the gusty wind well and quickly headed for an eventual early lead. Next, Electra just preceded Velica over the line, but Velica got the windward position and quickly caught up. Lastly, Second Wind got started, hoping to imply her long waterline to good effect in catching the fleet.

Velica got into a shadowing position on Electra, and Electra tacked to clear her wind and explore the right side of the course. When they came back together a tack later, Velica had pulled out a several boat-length lead on her mentor, which the mentee never surrendered. Meanwhile, I spied Kay D sailing distinctly off the wind and apparently retiring into let’s-just-have-fun-in-the-harbour mode. About five minutes later, Sprite did the same thing, kindly sailing past the FCR’s boat to wave and let me know her intentions. At this point, the pursuit was shaping up into a three-way battle, with Imp still leading, Velica second but slowly closing, and Electra third and keeping Velica sharp and attentive.

As we approached the first mark at Batt Rock, Imp rounded first, having over-stood slightly and thus approached a little off the wind and fast. Velica did the same although even more so, worrying her skipper that he might have left an opening for Electra. Indeed, Electra did close a bit, but needed a coupe of extra maneuvers near the mark, softening the blow to Velica.

On the reach to Welbury spar, boat speeds over 7 knots debuted, and the leading three got even closer together. Behind us, Second Wind had now rounded Batt Rock, and was showing signs of staying in the hunt for the downwind leg to come. Battle Axe and Skeena Cloud were not that far back either.

The final lead changes happened just before Welbury Spar. Velica had sailing a little lower than Imp and precisely timed and executed her one gybe. Imp meanwhile, appeared to be struggling a bit, and ultimately performed a 300º pirouette to assume port gybe. Velica thrust into the lead, and Electra followed into second.

The beam reach back to Second Sister was blazing fast, Velica was surging at 7.5 knots, and hit 8 knots on a few well-taken gusts. Electra and Imp were taking a little higher and hotter line, but still not able to close much.

Once back into the harbour, the wind held surprisingly strong and fairly steady, with just some mild oscillations to attend to. Velica was careful to stay to the right enough when the wind angle allowed her, to clear the sand spit without a gybe. Electra ventured a little closer to the Salt Spring shore, which allowed her to gain some boat-lengths on Velica early on, but paid for it later, and stopped her advance.

In the end, it was very close among the podium finishers (less than two minutes among the three), and Second Wind was only another five minutes back. Battle Axe and Skeena Cloud were further behind, but all agreed it was a blast of a race, and a good learning ground for full-on boat handling.

Boat Skipper PHRF-BC Finish Time Place Club Points
VELICA Vincent Argiro 138 13:02:47 1 100
ELECTRA Roger Kibble 141 13:04:28 2 88
IMP Craig Leitch 167 13:04:45 3 75
SECOND WIND   CC Eric van Soeren 114 13:09:59 4 63
BATTLE AXE Jim Raddysh 210 13:23:17 5 50
SKEENA CLOUD    CC Greg Taylor 195 13:33:42 6 38
KAY D Martin Herbert 202 DNF 8 13
SPRITE Greg Slakov 202 DNF 8 13


Go to top of page


Channel Islands Race

19 February  2017

This race was already the second this year that was abandoned for lack of wind on its first attempt. This time, we had highly divergent forecasts that left some doubt as to whether we would get it in, even on this second attempt. Plans for short courses were floated in advance. The usually quite accurate PredictWind forecast had an anemic northeast breeze holding station throughout the day, and leaving us with only 5 knots at the most, and tailing off in the afternoon from there. This was indeed exactly what we started with. However, the WindAlert forecast was much more optimistic, and in the end, much more accurate. By the time we were out of the harbour, the wind was well over 10 knots and headed for 20 knots and more.

The start was once again complicated by the presence of two squatter boats moored right near our start line. A trimaran was blocking the path away from the club end of the line, and a monohull, that has hung around all winter, was just inside the other end of the line. The wind was dodging and feinting between 2 to 4 knots and swinging through wide angles as well. Visiting Ogopogo took the pin end right on time, and headed out into a substantial and growing lead. In the middle of the line, Velica and Radiant Heat came within inches of each other, with Velica trying hard to give way to the leeward Radiant Heat, while struggling with stubbornly inverted mainsail battens. Electra and Imp got more windward starts, managing to avoid the trimaran, as did Wildfire. Skeena Cloud was a bit late starting and struggled to get going in the light and fickle initial breeze.

A southeast wind line gradually filled into the harbour, favouring the left side of the course initially. Ogopogo had headed right for it, and virtually disappeared as she got the new wind first. Radiant Heat got it next and began to pull away smartly, as did Imp, Wildfire, and Electra playing the right side of the course. Velica was late to the party, and found herself in a discouraging sixth position tacking halfway out of the harbour. As the wind built in, things began to change, however. Radiant Heat lost part of her lead in an apparent light spot, Wildfire ran out of room on the Second Sister shore, and Electra pointed high but seemed to lose a little boat speed. Velica charged through these opportunities, and having just cleared the Second Sister point on starboard, accelerated out into Welbury Bay now in a growing lead over the SISC boats. Ogopogo was a little more visible, but only a little.

By the time Batt Rock arrived the first time, Velica rounded just ahead of Electra, with Imp, Wildfire and Radiant Heat further back now. A fast broad reach ensued, and some of the boats got spinnakers up for the first time. Welbury Spar arrived in short order with Velica still narrowly ahead of Electra. Now the wind was really kicking up, with sustained 15-20 knots pressure and gusts over 25 knots. The tide was in an accelerating ebb and opposing the southeast breeze, creating a nasty sea state of short, sharp, cresting waves. Velica took a pair of these right over the bow and refreshed her skipper with a cold douse.

The remainder of the beat to the Channel Islands was a fast but pounding slog, which spread the fleet out more. But Electra stayed close to Velica, and upon rounding the first Island nearest Salt Spring to port, Electra dared a closer approach to the rocks and cut Velica’s lead to just three boat lengths. Velica responded by leaving less room at the point of the second Channel Island, and once around bore away onto a scorching run back to Welbury. Electra again took a deeper, more inside line, but unable to get a spinnaker flying single-handed in the 25 knot winds, gradually gave back water to Velica. Both Electra and Velica saw a lot of time over 8 knots of boat speed on this leg, and were still less than 100 metres apart at the second Welbury rounding.

Leeward marks in high wind are tough for a single-handed Alerion, since she is rigged presuming use of her electric winches, which her skipper properly does not use while racing in conformance with RRS rule 52. That disadvantage allowed Electra to hold a more windward line on the way to Batt Rock, and Velica was seeing a possible change of lead coming. Working extra hard to maintain boat speed in the high sixes, Velica just held her lead over Electra at the final mark.

The run into the harbour was mostly fast, with veins of the 20 knot wind snaking inside to keep boat speeds above 7 knots a good part of the time. By now, I could see that Imp had her spinnaker up and was clearly closing in on the leading pair. (Oh, yes, Ogopogo was still out there but already headed home to Galliano at this point!) Electra struggled with her second spinnaker hoist, with a persistent hourglass forcing a take down and re-hoist. Velica watched anxiously as eventually Electra’s chute ballooned. Nonetheless, Velica maintained her lead to the finish line, and just barely enough of it to overcome her slightly faster rating, claiming victory (among the SSI boats) by a scant 17 seconds on corrected time. Imp made up enough time on that final run to complete the podium, just over two minutes adrift of Electra.

Wildfire and Radiant Heat came to the line together, while I watched bringing Velica back to the marina. Radiant Heat nipped Wildfire by just one second on the clock, but the slower-rated Wildfire prevailed on corrected time. As I was entering times into the book, I caught sight of Skeena Cloud blasting her way into the harbour for a valiant finish, with probably a good chunk of boat-handling learning curve notched for the day.

Ogopogo did us the favour of not recording a time, sparing us all the humiliation of her dominant performance.

All in all, it was bracing and more typical SSI winter race, and even the sun made an appearance after the morning baptism.

Boat Skipper PHRF-BC NFS As Sailed Finish Time Corrected Place Points
VELICA Vincent Argiro 138 nfs permnt 138 13:43:20 03:10:59 1 100
ELECTRA Roger Kibble 141 21 141 13:44:30 03:11:16 2 83
IMP Craig Leitch 167 21 167 13:54:35 03:13:34 3 67
WILDFIRE Gyle Keating 148 18 148 13:59:00 03:23:22 4 50
RADIANT HEAT Tony Brogan 138 18 138 13:58:59 03:26:27 5 33
SKEENA CLOUD    CC Greg Taylor 195 18 195 14:49:30 03:55:55 6 17



Go to top of page


Walker Rock Race

26 February  2017

The day began for your FCR looking out at 2 cm of freshly fallen and falling snow at our Mt. Maxwell airie. It was too foggy to see what was going on at sea level, but I trusted the snow had reserved itself for us mountain-dwellers, and this was the case. Descending to the club, I found only a light drizzle, a steely sky, and an encouraging 10 knot southeast breeze in the harbour. The forecast models had mostly predicted an east wind backing to north and then northwest as it strengthened during the day. So this introductory breeze was a bit puzzling. Nonetheless, as race time approached, this harbour inflow dissipated and then died almost completely as the fleet assembled behind the start line. Then, just as boats were picking their spots, a wind line appeared off of Goat Island, the harbinger of that promised easterly flow. The angle of the wind made a starboard approach impossible, so there was a bit of ducking and diving going on to get a good position for a port tack run at the line. The pin end was favoured, and Imp nailed it just a few seconds late, with an accelerating Velica hot on her heels. Wildfire slipped in behind these two as they battled for clear air. The rest of the fleet held a more leeward position closer to the club, and found a building ribbon of wind there, closing the distance to the windward boats.

The first crux move of the race came as the converging fleet reached Second Sister with its characteristic wind shadow. Carrying momentum through this flat spot was key, and Velica was able to do it a little sooner and a little quicker than the rest of the fleet, resulting in a big jump into a lead in Welbury Bay, on the way to the first mark and Welbury Spar. Electra pulled out of the pack next and began a hot pursuit of Velica. That pursuit culminated with a current-avoidance duel up the outside shore of Nose Point. Electra won the lead at this point, as Imp began sneaking up behind the two leaders, followed by Oasis.

Velica could not effectively point as high as Electra, but was a touch faster on VMG as the current lessened a bit. Tacking off the Salt Spring shore, Velica was able to cross fairly in front of Electra, despite being on port tack, and narrowly regained the lead. Returning to starboard tack, the boats next had to contend with the hidden end of Atkins Reef. Velica tacked out again, and in a fateful decision, decided to cross to the Galiano side. Imp followed and got fairly close to Velica near the Ballingall Islets. Electra stayed offshore longer, apparently in more wind and little enough ebb current to make good headway toward the Walker Rock mark. As Velica converged with Electra, it was apparent that Electra had taken the better route and pulled out to a decisive ~3 minute lead at the rounding.

The balance of the fleet had fallen back here, probably contending with the sharp 18-20 knot gusts and oscillations rolling over the spine of Galiano Island. Oasis came forward to round 3rd, I believe, with Imp close behind.

Up front, Electra got her biggest white and pale blue spinnaker flying after a bit of a struggle, but once she did, her lead was assured and growing. Whenever the wind got above 15 knots, Velica would close the gap slightly, but in the lulls down to 12 knots, Electra would pull away again, at the peak probably about 7 minutes ahead. Other boats behind got chutes flying, including Oasis, Radiant Heat and Wirdbird/Firefly, and thus equipped, started slowly closing the big gap to Velica ahead. Notably, Imp did not get a chute up, and that probably was the difference in her inability to take the fight back to Velica and Electra. I believe this was also the case with Wildfire and Skeena Cloud, both short-handed.

Once around Nose Point, a fast reach ensued, leaving Welbury Spar to starboard, and then hardening up slightly for the close reach to Second Sister. Electra held her spinnaker as long as possible after Scott Point, and managed the take-down smoothly to hold serve.

In the harbour, the wind backed further to force another beat after it initially seemed a high-held starboard tack would do. Velica made some progress on this stretch, cutting Electra’s lead down to four minutes at the line, leaving the sharp-bowed boat both line honous and the clear victory for Roger, assisted ably by Philippe. Oasis followed Velica in, but on corrected time, Imp snagged the last podium spot, ahead of a closing Radiant Heat.

By the end, a persistent solid breeze was adorned by a brilliant sun-drenched blue sky, and regardless of finishing place, lots of smiles greeted each other on the dock.

The fleet from the deck of Velica, midway out of the harbour, showing left to right — Imp, Warbird/Firefly, Electra, Oasis, Radiant Heat, Skeena Cloud, and Wildfire
Boat Skipper PHRF-BC NFS As Sailed Finish Time Corrected Place Points
ELECTRA Roger Kibble 141 21 141 13:16:10 03:42:24 1 100
VELICA Vincent Argiro 138 nfs permnt 138 13:20:37 03:47:49 2 88
IMP Craig Leitch 167 21 167 13:33:36 03:50:29 3 75
RADIANT HEAT Tony Brogan 138 18 138 13:31:50 03:58:54 4 63
FIREFLY Douglas Woolcock 141 18 141 13:34:37 04:00:33 5 50
WILDFIRE Gyle Keating 148 18 148 13:40:10 04:03:26 6 38
OASIS    CC Bob Jones 102 18 102 13:29:00 04:09:46 7 25
SKEENA CLOUD    CC Greg Taylor 198 18 198 14:43:31 04:43:49 8 13


Go to top of page


Round Prevost Race

12 March  2017

Finally our luck with the sailing weather this year is improving! My call to postpone the Spring Regatta was a good one, with the Saturday weather truly miserable. In contrast, Sunday’s weather was better than expected, with only a few drops of spitting rain and overall plenty of wind for an efficient trip around my favourite daysail route.

There was some interest in allowing skipper’s choice for the direction of circumnavigation of Prevost, but a narrow majority wanted to keep the fleet together, and once this decision was made, it was pretty clear that the anti-clockwise direction would be in better phase with the current and forecast build-in of the wind.

Ogopogo joined us from Galiano, and as per usual, put on a master class that we could only gaze at in amazement from farther and farther in a-rears. I commented to Paul Faget about the Dart’s incredibly high pointing, to which he replied, “new flatter main = pointing high.” Those considering sail upgrades take note!

The start was complicated by a trimaran impolitely moored right in the middle and in front of the line, and marred by Radiant Heat’s fouling of Sprite, which I witnessed at close range. Tony’s own description:

“I screwed up the start being early and went out wide at the dock end but when trying to come back in to the start was squeezed up and in the way of another boat.
Penalty earned and penalty taken.
By the time we unwound from the circle the lead boats were already 3 minutes ahead.”

The wind veered to the south, and favoured starboard tack to the point I wondered if we all could make it down to the Channel Islands with nary a tack. Such was not the case entirely, but only a few hitches on port tack were necessary for those who read the shifts well. Once out in Captain Passage the late ebb current gave a good push to well-placed boats. Velica was able to make up a little water on Ogopogo this way, and pulled ahead of the rest of the fleet. Radiant Heat had made a great recovery and had joined Wildfire, Imp, Firefly, and Oasis in the middle of things. Sprite was staying in touch, and as became clearer later, sailed fast with respect to her much higher rating.

Bearing off at the south end of Prevost, the fleet made short work of the reach to Portlock Point. Staying out a little further from Prevost paid dividends for those chasing Velica, and things were beginning to get tighter as spinnakers bloomed on most boats for the run up Trincomali Channel (see photo below). The ebb current was still with us, but much diminished. Tony Brogan again comments:

“Heading up Trincomali channel, Radiant heat held off the charging fleet with barely perceptible gains on the front runner Velica. We took an early spinnaker takedown approaching Captain Passage and paid as Firely was now within two boat lengths having delayed their takedown to the last possible moment. Oasis was charging up.”

Indeed, approaching Peile Point, well after Ogopogo had slipped from view, a wind hole opened up right at the point, making a significant barrier prior to the strong breeze inside the Passage. Velica crawled through it, helplessly watching the fleet charge from behind. Nonetheless, she was released from her bonds in time, and shot out across Nose and Scott Points while Firefly, Radiant Heat and Oasis paid the tollbooth at Peile.

The endgame was the usual game of divining the patchy wind in Ganges Harbour, and playing the downwind shifts for all they were worth. Velica encountered Ogopogo a few hundred metres from the finish, already heading home to Galiano, after probably already having had a beer, sigh. Velica was counting seconds at this point, acutely aware of the corrected-time threat from Firefly, as the latter duelled with Radiant Heat right to the line, closely followed by Oasis (see photos below).

Thanks to Douglas for stepping into the breach, left by Philippe’s absence in the wild, and doing the scoring.

Congratulations to Greg Slakov and Sprite for the Club win, while introducing a clearly capable junior sailor to the fleet!

Greg Taylor aboard Skeena Cloud gamely commented:

“Everyone else uses PHRF to keep score. I use: is anyone left around to have a beer with? That’s a win for me. And today, for the first time in a long race, there was. Gyle invited me for a beer on Douglas’s boat. It felt like I won a Gold medal.”

Greg sets the example for the Corinthian spirit of sailing!


Boat Skipper PHRF-BC NFS As Sailed Finish Time Corrected Place Points
SPRITE Greg Slakov 202 21 202 13:28:08 02:40:22 1 100
VELICA Vincent Argiro 138 0 138 13:16:35 02:44:33 2 88
FIREFLY Douglas Woolcock 141 18 141 13:17:51 02:45:03 5 50
IMP Craig Leitch 167 21 167 13:24:54 02:45:29 3 75
RADIANT HEAT Tony Brogan 138 18 138 13:17:53 02:45:51 4 63
WILDFIRE Gyle Keating 148 18 148 13:27:10 02:52:24 6 38
OASIS    CC Bob Jones 102 18 102 13:18:52 02:56:28 7 25
SKEENA CLOUD    CC Greg Taylor 198 18 198 14:06:29 03:15:59 8 13
OGOPOGO*  Paul Faget 99  21  99  12:56:50 02:34:11

*OGOPOGO is not a SISC boat and does not qualify for placement in local SISC races


Go to top of page


Template Race

XX Month  2017

Text here

Boat Skipper PHRF-BC NFS As Sailed Finish Time Corrected Place Points


Go to top of page